engine powered by FreeFind.com

message board

a-z club guide

miners welfare park

matthew gadsby
memorial page

site map

link for the hinckley afc official website
  April 2018 News
Thursday 19th
Hinckley AFC 3 - 2 Chelmsley Town
Luke Richards scored a brace to seal the points in a battle against a dogged Chelmsley side, who despite their low table placing pushed Hinckley all the way to the final whistle.

As Hinckley began to feel the effect of so many games in such a short time the quality on show was not the best, added to the fact Chelmsley proved to be a tough determined side who were in no way going to roll over. Indeed Chelmsley started much the better applying pressure for the start and were ahead in the 7th minute, when Carl O'Neill did really well to tip over a long range shot, but as the corner came in the ball was not cleared and Jamie Barrett sent in a low cross with pace that deflected off Rich Munday and past O'Neill into goal. Chelmsley kept the pressure on and Hinckley struggled to hold possession, and when the equaliser came on 25 minutes it was a route one goal. O'Neill gathered a hopeful Chelmsley long ball and seeing Steve Hart begin a run on the left he kicked the ball diagonal upfield into the path of Hart, who then ran into the area, cut back outside his marker and fired under the keeper levelling the scores. AFC enjoyed a decent spell of possession up to half time and Luke Richards was very unlucky on the half hour when his shot hit the post and rolled along the goal line before being scrambled away. Hinckley looked to have secured a lead going into the break when on 41 minutes a long throw from the right was flicked on by Luke Richards and the ball drifted through the goal area with no one getting a touch ending up in the far corner of the net. However Chelmsley were determined to get something out the game and battled back almost straight away forcing a series of corners before half time, which from a short corner routine caught out the AFC defence forcing O'Neill to palm away an effort, only for the clearance to fall to Jamie Barrett who's strike from the edge of the area just crept inside the post despite O'Neill getting a touch to the ball.

As tired legs began to take their toll the second half was pretty much a non existent spectacle as the game got brought down to a midfield battle which neither team were winning and goal chances were at a premium. AFC were guilty of missing a couple of good chances as Josh Willis headed wide when well placed and Hart made space for himself on the edge of the area, but when he turned and shot it was straight at the keeper. Chelmsley also missed a couple of chances from corners when players were in space but both times shooting let them down and were well wide of the target. AFC secured the points 7 minutes from time with the best play of the game as James Jepson was in possession on the left side of midfield taking the ball forward then playing in Hart with his back to goal on the left edge of the area. Hart held the ball up and released Richards running the left channel, who took the ball past his marker and then fired past the keeper from a tight angle giving Hinckley the lead. Despite a late burst from Chelmsley in the final moments forcing a series of corners, AFC held on to claim a vital 3 points moving the club into 4th place in the League.

click here for: Chelmsley Town details

> return to current news

> return to news archive

  return to top