engine powered by FreeFind.com

message board

a-z club guide

miners welfare park

matthew gadsby
memorial page

site map

link for the hinckley afc official website
  February 2018 News
Saturday 24th
Hinckley AFC 4 - 2 Ilkeston Town
Atletico fight back from 0-2 down in a second half resurgence, with Steve Hart scoring all four goals, to beat a very good Ilkeston side, remaining unbeaten in the League this year.

The final score looked a long way off after a distinctly average first half performance from AFC, allowing Ilkeston to have a lot of possession, even if they themselves didn't create much with that possession. The first real goal chances came to AFC as Luke Richards weak shot was easily gathered by Ian Deakin, and then Richards again scooped over a Josh Burniston cross when well placed in the goal area. It was Ilson that took the lead though on 25 minutes from a right side Tom Marshall cross that Tim Hopkinson headed goal ward, only for Carl O'Neill to make an excellent reaction save, though unfortunately the rebound fell straight back to Hopkinson to tap into the goal. The goal lifted Ilson and they enjoyed their best spell of pressure up to half time, adding a second when a Marshall free kick deflected off the defencive wall into the path of Hopkinson, who had plenty of time and space to pick his spot and give Ilkeston what seemed like a match winning two goal lead at half time.

That two goal lead was wiped out within 5 minutes of the second half after a frenetic opening. In the first minute of the second half Richards saw his goal bound shot deflected, but only into the path of Hart who evaded a challenge and slotted past Deakin. 3 minutes later as Ilson players were appealing for a penalty when Marshall went to ground, AFC broke away and Hart ran into the area on the right and cut back inside firing past Deakin from just inside the area, levelling the scores. Ilkeston composed themselves and had a spell of pressure for 15 minutes resulting in O'Neill having to be alert to keep out Hopkinson, but the comeback and Hart's hatrick was complete on 70 minutes when the Hinckley striker fired a Josh Willis cross at goal only to see Deakin superbly save the chance. However, the rebound fell nicely for Hart and with Deakin on the floor, he coolly lifted the ball over the Ilson keeper giving Hinckley the lead. Ilkeston responded to the goal and had a good opportunity with a Chris Shaw free kick, but O'Neill did well to gather the ball. With Ilson looking for an equaliser the game opened up even more and Deakin had to be alert to deny Hart his fourth goal pushing his effort onto the crossbar. The match was beyond Ilson in the final minute when Hart did eventually score his fourth after a great run from Kai Tonge who's fierce cross into the area was palmed away by Deakin, but Hart was on hand to bullet his header into the net, sealing the points.

click here for: Ilkeston Town details

> return to current news

> return to news archive

  return to top