engine powered by FreeFind.com

message board

a-z club guide

miners welfare park

matthew gadsby
memorial page

site map

link for the hinckley afc official website
  December 2017 News
Tuesday 26th
Hinckley AFC 3 - 4 Heather St Johns
Atletico lost out to a last minute goal from Simeone Cobourne, completing his hatrick for Heather St John, as they snatched victory in the landlord derby.

Hinckley were the better side for the first half, and made most of the attacking play. Harry Harris shot just wide, Ben Allsop had to be alert to tip over a Steve Hart dipping 25 yard effort, Then Allsop again denied Hart getting down low to his angled drive. Allsop nearly gifted Hart a goal soon after when he parried his long range shot, but recovered just in time to prevent the ball rolling over the line. AFC took the lead mid way through the half when Isaac Cooper saw his throw flicked on at the near post and only half cleared to Harris, who returned the ball onto the head of Hart guiding it past Allsop. Heather did respond to this and both Minshull and Cobourne had chances but Ty Belford was comfortable with both saves. 10 minutes before half time it should have been two nil, but as Hart played in Luke Richards, the Hinckley forward stroked the ball into the net, only for the referee to disallow the goal, and pull play back for a foul on Hart. On the stroke of half time Richards was fouled in the area, and Hart took the resultant spot kick, only to see the ball crash back off the base of the post.

Heather came out the second half a transformed team and dominated the first 20 minutes of the second half, changing their tactics trying to use Cobourne's pace with long balls, which was very effective for them. Cobourne levelled the scores within 5 minutes, after Allsop had superbly denied Richards from point blank range, Heather broke down field and Cobourne ran onto the long ball, going past an AFC defender then beating Belford with a curling shot. On the hour Heather had the lead as Tom Weale was allowed acres of space in the centre and he picked his spot in the goal from the edge of the area. As AFC were still trying to regroup, Heather scored again just after the hour, a carbon copy of their first, with the effective long ball to Cobourne, who out paced the defence and slotted under Belford making it three. This stung Hinckley into action and Hart replied almost immediately on the right of the goal controlling his shot on the turn curling past Allsop into the left corner of the net. Josh Willis could have then had the equaliser, but his header was cleared off the line and Cooper hit the follow up against the post. Matt Hill then put his side into trouble as the Heather left back went in high on Willis, for which he was shown a red card. Allsop then saved his side with another couple of superb saves, first diving full length to deny Hart, then being alert to deflect away a Dom Perkins header. As Hinckley pushed for the equaliser, Cobourne again raced onto a long ball and was one on one with Belford, who got a hand to his shot, then a 'flying block' from Jake Healy stopped the rebound on the line, before Cobourne crashed his second rebound onto the crossbar. AFC levelled with 3 minutes to go, a driving run from Richards on the left saw him come inside and cross hard and low, for the ball to hit Fraser Doyle and sneak into goal at the near post. Hinckley however had not learnt their lesson with Cobourne's pace and as the ball was hoofed towards the AFC goal in the final moments of the match Cobourne latched onto it and slotted home his hatrick goal stealing the 3 points for Heather.

click here for: Heather St Johns details

> return to current news

> return to news archive

  return to top