engine powered by FreeFind.com

message board

a-z club guide

miners welfare park

matthew gadsby
memorial page

site map

link for the hinckley afc official website
  September 2017 News
Saturday 2nd
Mickleover Sports 2 - 1 Hinckley AFC
Atletico bowed out of the FA Cup with a credible display against Mickleover Sports. Despite a brave effort, the 3 league gap between the teams was too much to bridge on the day, and 2 excellent goals from Sports were the difference.

As you'd expect from a home team playing in the Northern Premier League Premier division, Sports had most of the possession and made most of the attacking play, but AFC were happy to try to sit and hit on the breakaway. Despite the amount of possession AFC keeper Haydn Whitcombe was not actually tested many times, making comfortable saves when it mattered. When the goal finally came for Sports it was a superbly struck free kick from Zeph Thomas, from the right edge of the area, he curled the ball over the wall and into goal off the inside of the post, with Whitcombe having no chance. AFC carried on though and were rewarded for the effort right on the stroke of half time as a corner was played to the back post for Dominic Smith to head back across the face of goal where George Bowerman was waiting to loop a header over the keeper equalising the scores.

Sports came out for the second half and carried on from the first pegging Hinckley back in their own half, but were rocked when a seemingly innocent tackle ended in an off the ball incident where Andy Dales was judged by the ref to have motioned a head butt towards Lee Miveld, and he showed the Sports midfielder a straight red card. This didn't stop Sports in any way and they still spread the ball around effectively despite being a man down. AFC brought on some fresh legs in the from of wide pace men Brad Rolston and Isaac Cooper, but chances for them to run at Sports were limited. The winning goal was again another superb strike as John McGrath was allowed time and space on the edge of the area he passed the ball just out of the reach of Whitcombe, curling back into goal just inside the post. In the dying moments Hinckley felt they should've had a penalty as Healy broke free but was cut down in the area, and after the wait whilst he was treated for his injury amazingly a drop ball was instructed by the ref,and that was the last chance for AFC to stay in the FA Cup.

click here for: Mickleover Sports details

> return to current news

> return to news archive

  return to top