engine powered by FreeFind.com

message board

a-z club guide

miners welfare park

matthew gadsby
memorial page

site map

link for the hinckley afc official website
  August 2017 News
Tuesday 15th
Hinckley AFC 1 - 4 Walsall Wood
Atletico chopped down as Walsall Wood inflict first home defeat of the season, with Dom Smith also seeing a red card in the second half to round off a miserable evening for AFC.

Gary Birch brought his big sending title favourites to Stade de St John, but were gift wrapped an early 0-2 lead by some staggering negative tactics from AFC. Starting with just Sam Agar up front, he was easily contained by the Conference and Football League experience of Darren Campion, Gavin Hurren and Chris Slater in the Wood back line. And thus inviting Wood to attack, this they did, taking the lead as early as the 5th minute when a throw on the left was not defended well and the ball crossed central for Joe Butlin to blast in from close range. The lead was doubled on 20 minutes, again on the left the ball was played central and this time Peter Till half volleyed past Haydn Whitcombe giving AFC a mountain to climb and leaving the team on the back foot for the rest of the game. Hinckley did get a goal back immediately, mainly thanks to the tenacity of Agar as he received the ball in the left channel and rode a strong challenge, holding the ball up until Lee Butler could run in central where Agar crossed and Butler scored from close in. This only papered over the AFC cracks, and even though Agar made the keeper save low to his left no more scoring chances could be created.

A fine double save from Whitcombe early in the second half just kept Hinckley holding on, and when George Bowerman came on as a substitute he almost scored with his first touch, but Lloyd Ransome got down well to smother the ball at his feet. Within minutes of the game nearly being all square AFC found themselves down 1-3, as a superb free kick from Jordan Fitzpatrick nestled in the top left corner of the net. Any chance of a comeback was gone in the following 5 minutes, as first Dominic Smith was left with little option but to bring down Tony Clarke when in a goal scoring opportunity and was rightly shown a red card, and from the resulting free kick, Whitcombe did well to save the original shot, but Clarke was quickest to the ball and scored Wood's fourth. With no further chances created Walsall easily saw out the rest of the match to win and continue their charge back to the premier division.

click here for: Walsall Wood details

> return to current news

> return to news archive

  return to top