true"> st john's park

engine powered by

message board

a-z club guide

miners welfare park

matthew gadsby
memorial page

site map

link for the hinckley afc official website
  August 2017 News
Saturday 5th
Worksop Town 1 - 2 Hinckley AFC
Atletico raised their game to tame the Tigers, beating the Northern Counties East Premier division Worksop Town in the extra preliminary round of the FA Cup.

In an open game AFC matched their higher league opponents, and even though Worksop had the lions share of possession, AFC created the better chances. Isaac Cooper, a thorn in the Tiger's side all afternoon, saw his early free kick saved and debutant George Bowerman was denied an almost certain goal after taking the ball around keeper John Kennedy but a last ditch tackle was perfectly timed by Steve Wankiewicz. And it was Hinckley who took the lead on 18 minutes when Lee Butler saw his free kick cleared, but only as far as Sean Williams 25 yards out, who half volleyed across the keeper into the top far corner of the net. Worksop did then spend the next 25 minutes applying pressure to the Hinckley back line, but didn't create any clear chances until just before half time where Haydn Whitcombe saved from first Michael Blythen, and then Kyle Jordan, who's cheeky chip looked like it was going to drop into the net before being clawed away.

Worksop, as the higher team and the home team had to come out the second half with 'claws out' and this they did, putting AFC on the back foot from the whistle. The inevitable equaliser came 10 minutes into the half after a great run on the right from Liam Greenfield, who cut into the area from the wing and drilled past Whitcombe from 15 yards out. AFC looked to hit back, but Kennedy was on form to deny first Williams and then Jake Healy. As the match swung end to end Jake Currie forced Whitcombe into a diving save before the game entered the last 10 minutes and Hinckley scored the winner. With Michael Trench looking at the linesman waiting for an offside flag, Sam Agar danced past the Worksop defender on the right, to the touch line and cut the ball back to the left of the area where Cooper ran in unmarked at the far post volleying the ball into the net giving AFC the lead for the second time. With 8 minutes to hold on Worksop came forward in numbers but only had a Micah Bishop cross area shot to show for it, and Hinckley held on to go through to the Preliminary round now facing Leicestershire EMCL side Aylestone Park.

click here for: Worksop Town details

> return to current news

> return to news archive

  return to top