engine powered by FreeFind.com

message board

a-z club guide

miners welfare park

matthew gadsby
memorial page

site map

link for the hinckley afc official website
  April 2017 News
Tuesday 4th
Hinckley AFC 2 - 3 Atherstone Town
Even Ryan Seal's 50th goal of the season could not stop Atletico suffering their second home defeat of the season, as Atherstone scored a late winner to beat 10 man Hinckley.

Atherstone got off to a great start opening the scoring in the second minute after a defensive mix up saw Haydn Whitcombe gather a ball, but then knocked out of his hands as a defender collided with him, allowing Alex Naughton a simple tap in. AFC worked hard to get back into the game and began to create chances from the wings with Javia Roberts and Lee Thomas getting balls into the area, before Sean Williams forced Tom McNulty into a fine low save. AFC were on level terms just after the half hour after great work by Paul Sullivan on the left to cut inside his marker then into the area where he was bundled over for a penalty. Ryan Seal stepped up to score the penalty, which was his 50th goal this season in all competitions. Seal then forced McNulty into another good save before Francino Francis headed a Seal corner over the bar from 6 yards out just before the break.

Atherstone came out the stronger at the start of second half, with Naughton forcing Whitcombe to make two saves, then on the hour Naughton fired well over from the edge of the area. However despite Naughton shooting at goal, the referee decided he was fouled in the build up, dragged play back for the free kick and showed the yellow card to Mark Williams, his second of the game, meaning the Hinckley midfielder was sent off. With the man advantage Atherstone pushed up, but it was AFC who had the better goal chances on the break, when Roberts through one-on-one but his effort was saved by McNulty. Naughton was seeing plenty of the ball and clearly Adders best player, creating all their chances, assisting Ben Ashby, who was denied by a close range save by Whitcombe. Sullivan was unlucky to see his tight angle shot come off the cross bar, but moments later he totally confused Christian Mullings, to make space and run into the area with the ball, before Mullings cynically up ended him on route to goal, a foul which didn't even result in a yellow card. Sullivan picked himself up to take the penalty and 10 man Hinckley went into the lead. Atherstone piled everything forward for the last 10 minutes trying to get something from the game with their man advantage, and were level with 5 minutes remaining after Roberts mis-timed challenge brought down Ashby. Naughton took the penalty scoring his second goal of the game equalising the scores. In the dying moments Ashley Gray saw an effort turned away by Whitcombe, before the pressure tolled in a series of corners for Atherstone, and Ashby scored their winner in the final minute. There was still time for Sullivan to glance a header from a corner goal bound, but McNulty was again equal to it and Adders held on for their greatest win ever.

click here for: Atherstone Town match details

> return to current news

> return to news archive

  return to top