engine powered by FreeFind.com

message board

a-z club guide

miners welfare park

matthew gadsby
memorial page

site map

link for the hinckley afc official website
  February 2017 News
Saturday 4th
Cadbury Athletic 0 - 3 Hinckley AFC
After 2 defeats in the League, Atletico returned to winning ways with an industrious, hard working performance against a resolute Cadbury side that had only lost 3 games this season.

James Williams returned to right back, as Darious Darkin started from the bench, though Darkin would be on the pitch after half an hour as Lee Butler suffered a knock on his ankle and had to be substituted. Cadbury had developed a reputation for being tough to beat, and have one of the lowest goals conceded total in the League and that was no different today as they set themselves out very defensive from the start. AFC made a lot of the play as Cadbury sat off and looked to hit on the break, Sam Agar had a good chance early on but fired wide, and Ryan Seal took the ball around keeper Reece Francis, but Francis recovered to get a block on Seal's shot. AFC opened the scoring on the quarter hour when Seal played in Agar, who also took the ball around Francis,but the keeper didn't recover this time and instead brought down Agar for a penalty. Despite some amateur dramatics from Francis attempting to delay the penalty kick for 5 minutes, Seal stepped up and put the ball into the corner of the net giving Hinckley the lead. As AFC kept the pressure on the Cadbury goal, James Williams saw his shot blocked and then follow up efforts were also blocked from Seal and Jamal Clarke. Clarke was then in space in the area again, from a set piece, but completely misjudged the ball and ended up with an 'air shot' as Cadbury cleared the danger. Odane Barnes had Cadbury's best effort of the half when he skipped past two challenges, but Haydn Whitcombe saved comfortably. And then almost straight after Hinckley doubled their lead, Agar slipped his marker on the left and played a low cross to the back post where Clarke made no mistake this time blasting into goal from close range. Sean Williams had one final chance before half time but his effort drifted over.

The second half continued much the same as the first, Agar saw Francis save his shot easily, and James Williams overlapped on the right and crossed for Sean Williams, but his shot went over, and it was not to be Sean Williams day as he then crashed a shot off the post. Hinckley did score their third just after the hour from a Seal corner the Francis came for and missed, leaving James Williams free to head into an unguarded net. In the latter stages Agar's shot was gathered by Francis, Seal drove into the box but his shot went into the side netting and Javia Roberts did well making space in the area, but couldn't get enough power on his shot to beat Francis. Cadbury did have a late flutter in the dying moments but Dayle Kenny and Dean Lea couldn't take away Haydn Whitcombe's clean sheet.

click here for: Cadbury Athletic match details

> return to current news

> return to news archive

  return to top