engine powered by FreeFind.com

message board

a-z club guide

miners welfare park

matthew gadsby
memorial page

site map

link for the hinckley afc official website
  December 2016 News
Saturday 3rd
Hinckley AFC 2 - 1 Quorndon
Kristian Ramsey-Dickson headed Atletico through to the 4th round of the FA Vase scoring in extra time, continuing the history making run, as AFC knocked out Midland League Premier Quorn.

With only one change from the previous weeks team, Lee Butler was suspended and replaced with Andy Westwood, though there would be no repeat of the 10 goal thriller, as the higher placed team defended with much more organisation, as you'd expect. It was however an open first half with both sides playing good football and creating chances. Both keepers were called upon to keep the scoring down. AFC showed first with Sean Williams forcing Leighton Smith to tip over his edge of area curling shot, and then Smith got down low to thwart Paul Sullivan. Haydn Whitcombe then had to make a superb reaction save to deny Leavi Oshungbure with a header from a corner. AFC could've taken the lead 25 minutes in when a great through ball from Javia Roberts saw Ryan Seal in on goal, but the Hinckley captain pulled his shot over the bar. Whitcombe was again on hand to get behind a Simon Alcott volley and then again was at full lentght to tip a John Selway head onto the post, and away to safety. Quorn had their own defencive melee just before half time as Lee Thomas crossed in from the left and James Williams flicked header beat Smith, but rebounded off a player on the line, and when Sean Williams followed up, hit the same player on the line who scrambled the ball away to safety. A half that could've finished 3-3 remained goal less as neither side could force the break through.

As the second half started Seal couldn't get enough power on close range effort, and then Smith was right behind a Sean Williams volley. However Hinckley did finally opening the scoring on 50 minutes with Peter Williams robbing Joe Hopewell as he dallied on the ball 30 yards out, then driving into the area, as everyone expected a low cross, Williams went for goal and beat Smith at his near post, the ball going through the keepers legs. Seal saw an effort deflected wide and Jamal Clarke then headed just over from a corner, before Quorn began to press forward searching for an equaliser. With 15 minutes remaining Reuben Asamoah fired across goal for Quorn, but wide of the post, and then Nathan Dale put a free kick over the bar. With 10 minutes of the game to play, Quorn got their equaliser as Nick Goold did well on the left running into the area and crossing low and hard into the goal area where Jack Farmer couldn't prevent the ball from going into the net scoring an own goal. Quorn substitute James Hicks had a great opportunity to win it at the death but as his effort curled towards the top corner Whitcombe stretched out a big hand and tipped the ball away, taking the game into extra time.

With both teams contributing to an end to end game, the first period of extra time was very low key as both sides recovered from the second half, not creating any clear cut chances. The second period continued the same with play stopping regularly for 'cramp', but with 7 minutes remaining the game sparked into life. Luke Richards, returning as a second half substitute after his suspension, used his pace to get away from Robert Mulonea, who brought him down on the left level with the area. Seal played the ball in from the free kick, and Ramsey-Dickson had honed his range from his earlier chance, headed the ball goal ward where Smith could only palm his effort into the roof of the net. A tired looking Quorn couldn't raise themselves for one last push for a second equaliser and AFC saw out the rest of the game, to scenes of jubilation from players and fans alike at the final whistle.

click here for: Quorndon match details

> return to current news

> return to news archive

  return to top