engine powered by FreeFind.com

message board

a-z club guide

miners welfare park

matthew gadsby
memorial page

site map

link for the hinckley afc official website
  November 2016 News
Tuesday 1st
Coleshill Town 2 - 4 Hinckley AFC - After extra time
A suberb second half rear guard performance saw Atletico through to the next round of the League Cup, beating Premier side Coleshill Town after extra time.

With the daunting task of trying to grind out a result against one of the top Premier sides, AFC came flying out of the blocks looking to shock Coleshill. Javia Roberts pace was causing trouble from the kick off and on 10 minutes as he danced around their defence he was brought down on the edge of the area. Lee Butler lined up the free kick then curled the ball around the wall and into the top far corner of the goal, giving Atletico and early lead. With Jordan Nadat and Luke Shorthouse up front for Coleshill you'd expect them to create chances which they did looking to get back in the game. Haydn Whitcombe was called into action a number of times and every time was up to the task. AFC extended their lead on the stroke of half time with Ryan Seal running through the middle of the Coleshill ranks and being brought down just inside the area. He stepped up to take the penalty himself, making no mistake and ensuring Hinckley took a 0-2 lead into half time.

As expected Coleshill came out for the second half determined to show their higher status and turn the game around, putting a lot of pressure on the AFC back line. Cory Curruthers reduced the deficit 10 minutes into the half when he went on a run down the right channel into the area and finished neatly from a tight angle. Then just after the hour a long range effort was superbly saved by Whitcombe at full length, but Jordan Nadat was on hand to poke in the rebound equalising the scores. Coleshill now threw everything forward trying to force the winner, but Jamal Clarke and MArk Williams in the centre and Whitcombe in goal stood strong with a series of blocks and good saves keeping the scores level at full time, taking the tie into extra time.

With both teams tiring, the first period of extra time was uneventful. Coleshill had the majority of possession but didn't create any serious chances, whilst AFC were looking to pick up on the breakaway. Whitcombe was called into action once, but that was another superb full length save tipping a free kick over the bar.

The second period saw Hinckley win the game with two opportunist goals. First a great through ball from Seal fund Andy Westwood making a run, and he reached the ball just before the Town keeper, tapping it past him and it trickled into the net giving Hinckley the lead again with 5 minutes remaining. As Coleshill pushed everything forward a ball cleared out of defence came to Roberts out wide right on the half way line. He turned his man with a quick flick, and instead of heading towards the corner flag, he aimed in on goal, jinked past the central defender and slotted the ball under the keeper scoring Hinckley's fourth goal, and putting the club into the 3rd round of the League Cup for the first time.

click here for: Coleshill Town match details

> return to current news

> return to news archive

  return to top