engine powered by FreeFind.com

message board

a-z club guide

miners welfare park

matthew gadsby
memorial page

site map

link for the hinckley afc official website
  August 2016 News
Friday 5th
Hinckley AFC 1 - 1 Heanor Town
Atletico kicked off the new season with a credible draw against higher league Heanor Town in the FA Cup extra preliminary round.

With a number of players unavailable due to holidays and suspensions a makeshift AFC side saw 5 players make their competitive Hinckley debuts. Jamal Clarke, Shaquille Lee and James Williams started, plus Peter Williams and Tom McCrystal came off the subs bench. With Sam Agar suspended and Ryan Seal on holiday no recognised striker was on the pitch, meaning Sean Williams and the returning Rico Taylor would be taking up the attacking duties.

AFC certainly started the game with more impetous, looking to get at Heanor before they had a chance to settle, and with a sudden downpour just before kick off leading to a greasy pitch this added to Hinckley's advantage of having pacey front men. Taylor saw his header saved and Darious Darkin flashed a shot past the upright before Heanor responded with a header from a corner also going wide. Williams and then Taylor again forced Joe McCormack into saves before Ryan Paddock gave Atletico the lead with 5 minutes remaining of the half. From a Taylor corner, he lost his marker and headed past McCormack, with the Heanor keeper not having a chance from such close range.

Heanor came out for the second half and then showed their higher league status as they began to command possession and create more chances in search of an equaliser. Even so AFC had great chance on the hour to double the lead when Taylor went on a run taking the ball past a couple of defenders before squaring into the area, but Sean Williams just could get on the end of it. Heanor equalised shortly after this chance after a neat move from Nathan Benger and Kieran Debrouwer played in Elliott Reeves behind the AFC defence and he slotted past Tom Cross to level the scores. This lifted Heanor and for the final 30 minutes virtually laid seige to the Hinckley goal, though the AFC defence held firm and the only real scoring chance was a late Benger header that was just wide of the post. Both clubs will have to do it all over again next Wednesday night in the replay.

click here for: Heanor Town match details

> return to current news

> return to news archive

  return to top