engine powered by FreeFind.com

message board

a-z club guide

miners welfare park

matthew gadsby
memorial page

site map

link for the hinckley afc official website
  February 2016 News
Saturday 13th
Coventry United 2 - 2 Hinckley AFC
Atletico gave league leaders Coventry United a shock at Sphinx Drive, thanks to goals from Ryan Seal and Sean Williams, but a 96th minute equaliser for the hosts scrapped a draw for the home club.

In an open end to end game of football played in the right way, it would've been a great spectacle for a neutral as the game had everything that makes football a joy to watch. AFC started the brighter and were first to create chances, Sam Agar making his league debut played in Lee Thomas on the left who crossed for Javia Roberts though his shot was not powerful enough to beat Dave Allen. Ryan Seal then fired a warning shot forcing Allen to make the save, before Seal gave Hinckley the lead on 21 minutes. Darious Darkin spotted Seal making a diagonal run and played a great through ball to him from the midfield, with Seal taking the ball into the area and when one on one with Allen slotted it past him into the goal. At the other end Josh O'Grady fired straight at Tom Cross and Rob Briscoe thought he should have had a penalty when tackled in the area, but the ref waved play on. Hinckley thought they'd added a second just before the half hour when Sam Agar headed in Lee Butler's corner, but the goal was disallowed for pushing in the area. To add insult Coventry then equalised just after the half hour, when O'Grady saw his corner defended but not cleared and Callum Burgess on the right of the area tried a cross/shot that neatly dipped over Cross into the back of the net. Coventry finish the half the stronger of the two teams with effort from Brisoe and O'Grady but half time with the teams level.

Coventry started the second half where they finished, thinking they'd equalised right from the restart after Matt Brown put the ball in the goal, however the linesman's offside flag cuts short their celebrations. Then Tom Glasscoe saw his long range effort drift over the top, Cross saved well from Brown, and when Cross was beaten Thomas was on the line to clear Rich Blyth's goalbound shot. With 15 minutes remaining, AFC having already used all three substitutes, were down to 10 men as defender Alex Penny was forced off through injury, however this didn't change the AFC attacking philosophy and Coventry were stunned with 5 minutes to go when Atletico took the lead again. A Jackson through ball had released Greg Pearson who's initial shot was well saved by Allen, but Pearson played the rebound back to Jackson who teed the ball up for Sean Williams 25 yards out to hit a thunderbolt of a shot into the top corner. This is followed up by Agar who forces Allen into another good save as AFC were not content to sit deep and see out the game. As the match moved into injury time O'Grady raced clear into the Hinckley area and was clipped by Thomas, resulting in penalty for Coventry. Blythe stepped up to take the spot kick, but Cross dived the right way and saved the shot, but more drama was to follow as the injury time continued. A further three minutes into time added and Blythe again had a second chance to equalise, though as he bundled the ball into the net from a Briscoe knock down the linesman again had his flag up for offside. And yet another further three minutes into injury time, O'Grady took a corner, but as it was cleared for some unknown reason the referee made O'Grady take the corner again? This time it was played central and as the clock ticked to 96 minutes Blythe took his third opportunity and forced the ball into goal from close range equalising for Coventry United with the last kick of the match.

click here for: Coventry United match details

> return to current news

> return to news archive

  return to top