engine powered by FreeFind.com

message board

a-z club guide

miners welfare park

matthew gadsby
memorial page

site map

link for the hinckley afc official website
  December 2014 News
Saturday 6th
Stafford Town 3 - 4 Hinckley AFC
Atletico's unbeaten run carried on to 9 games in an open free flowing game between the leagues two form teams, with a JJ Melligan penalty just enough to give Hinckley the win.

In a match which was end to end both teams had spells of dominance and it was AFC that started on the front foot. Marco Adaggio gave Hinckley the lead in the ninth minute with a deft flick header at the near post following Nathan Walkers free kick. It was Walker again in the 24th minute who split the Stafford defence for Luke Richards to run onto the ball and slot it under Richard Stone giving Hinckley a 0-2 lead. Stafford responded by upping their game and Zak Horrobin curled a long range effort over the bar before Graig Hulme got a goal back for Town 10 minutes before half time. Stafford were claiming a penalty when the ball struck an injured AFC player lying on the floor in the penalty area, however the referee decided at that moment to stop the game so the player could receive treatment, not endearing himself to the Stafford players or staff, but ensuring Hinckley went in at half time with a 1-2 lead.

Adaggio extended Hinckley's lead to 2 goals again, shortly into the second half, after another powerful run and shot from Richards, that Stone could only parry into the path of Adaggio who tapped into the net scoring Hinckley's third of the game, and the 50th league goal of the season. Richards then found himself in action at the other end fouling Horrobin, and giving away a penalty. Michael Mezsaro stepped up to take the spot kick, but Sam Arnold not only saved the penalty but saved the follow up effort too. Though Stafford weren't finished and stunned Atletico with two excellent strikes in a four minute burst. First Nathan Cooper's long range speculative effort dropped over Arnold's head and into the back of the net, before Ashley Phillips finished off a nice passing move on the left with 20 yard blast into the top of the net equalising the scores. As with the ebb and flow of the game, no sooner had Stafford equalised then Tyrone Clarke-O’Connell was brought down in the Stafford area with a penalty awarded to Hinckley. JJ Melligan blasted the spot kick into the bottom left corner giving AFC a 3-4 lead. Stafford responded with spells of possession but couldn't create any clear cut chances as Hinckley defended in greater numbers for the final twenty minutes, holding on to win their 10th league match of the season.

click here for: Stafford Town match details

> return to current news

> return to news archive

  return to top