engine powered by FreeFind.com

message board

a-z club guide

miners welfare park

matthew gadsby
memorial page

site map

link for the hinckley afc official website
  October 2014 News
Saturday 25th
Atherstone Town 1 - 2 Hinckley AFC
A fine goal from Tyrone Clark O'Connell won the A5 El Classico for Atletico, beating 10 man Atherstone at Sheepy Road, as former AFC player Gregg Webb got himself sent off.

In a game that could never be described as a 'classic' in any form AFC ground out a gritty result against an Atherstone side who had lost heavily in the week and were determined not to repeat the same. Phil Smith was the busier of the two goalkeepers early on as he saved from Hinckley's Alex Morris and Luke Richards, with Matt Gardner placing two chances just wide of the goal. On the half hour Adders were reduced to 10 men when ex Hinckley Gregg Webb, who was Atherstone's captain for the game, was shown a straight red card for violent conduct. However AFC did not capitalise on this immediately, failing to test Smith again before the break, though Sam Arnold was called into action with Adders best chance of the first half, an over hit back pass from Morris that Arnold dived to his right and pushed around the post.

Atletico did open the scoring 5 minutes into the second half, when Matt Gardner took the ball on his chest in the area, but was bundled over as he was about to shoot. Gardner stepped up to take the penalty, which Smith initially saved, but had come two paces off his line allowing himself to get closer to the ball. Gardner re-took his penalty, this time scored, and Smith was booked for still protesting about the first effort. Gardner had the ball in teh net again 5 minutes later, but was judged to be offside, before a break away saw Atherstone equalise. Jordan Rushton mis-timed his tackle on Josh Nash and Adders were awarded their own penalty, which Liam Bailey scored levelling the scores. Tyrone Clark-O'Connell was on as a substitute and with almost his first touch could've headed Hinckley back into the lead, but his far post effortwas off target and the wrong side of the post. Clark-O'Connel made up forthat minutes later with an excellent solo goal worthy of winning the match, when with 20 minutes left he received the ball on the left, cut inside to the edge of the area and curled the ball around Smith into the top right corner of the goal, giving AFC back the lead. In the final moments Gardner was again unlucky in front of goal, when he rounded Smith, but Matt Sylvester scrambled back to hack the ball off the line. However that didn't matter as the final whistle blew moments later and Atletico had picked up another hard fought 3 points.

click here for: Atherstone Town match details

> return to current news

> return to news archive

  return to top