engine powered by FreeFind.com

message board

a-z club guide

miners welfare park

matthew gadsby
memorial page

site map

link for the hinckley afc official website
  September 2014 News
Saturday 27th
Hinckley AFC 0 - 1 Studley
Ultimately another defeat for Hinckley, but the game will be remembered for a moment of madness in the first half, followed by the sheer determination and effort of Atletico's nine men during the second half.

The game started at a fast pace, with both sides passing the ball and an end to end flow. AFC had a great chance to take the lead with their first attack, Bekir Halil crossing the ball to Tyrone Clark-O'Connell who's shot struck the cross bar, before moments later Justin Nisbett made space, but shot wide. Clark-O'Connell fired a low cross through the goal area but both Mark Bellingham and John Melligan failed to connect, before Matt Bailey replied for Studley, the ex AFC player going one on one with Sam Arnold making a good save. Edwards in the Studley goal parried a Bellingham effort away to safety, and then Studley had their chance with Josh Mckenzie seeing his shot tipped away and Arnold again saving from Bailey. The whole nature of the match changed just before the half hour when Nathan Walker was sent off for a bad challenge on McKenzie, and the Studley striker was also shown a straight red card due to his retaliation. From the ensuing melee on the pitch John Clapp received a second yellow card and he too was sent off, but not before McKenzie had gone rushing towards the changing rooms to continue his 'retaliation' with Walker, something for which he was ejected from the ground. With McKenzie gone AFC had lost their central defender and whilst the team were trying to adjust Studley took advantage and scored their goal. A cross was played in from the left and where Clapp would have been, there was no one except Bailey who gratefully tapped into the goal. Hinckley to their credit never gave up, and even though down to nine men, played the better football as Studey were content to sit on their goal lead. Bellingham had another great chance to equalise just before half time, but as his shot beat Edwards, agonisingly it rebounded away off the inside of the post.

The second half was pretty much a story of Hinckley passing well up to the final third and then being thwarted by Studley who dropped deep and put men behind the ball. For all Hinckley's effort and good approach work, Studley simply had too many men in the way. Still there were a few chances to equalise, Nisbett shot wide and Melligan put a free kick over the bar, before Avun Jephcott had a glorious chance thanks to some great dribbling from James Tindall on the right, teeing the ball up for Jephcott, only for his shot to go straight at Edwards.

click here for: Studley match details

> return to current news

> return to news archive

  return to top