engine powered by FreeFind.com

message board

a-z club guide

miners welfare park

matthew gadsby
memorial page

site map

link for the hinckley afc official website
  August 2014 News
Monday 30th
Littleton 1 - 0 Hinckley AFC
Littleton executed a perfect smash and grab, or rather 'aggravated burglary and assault occasioning actual bodily harm', eventually winning this bout 1-0, thanks to some heavy 'tackles' and questionable tactics, resulting in the injury of club captain John Melligan.

From the kick off it was clear what little football Littleton intended to play, prefering to stop Atletico playing by whatever means fair or not, a sort of anti-football ethos. Ultimately it worked for them, despite Hinckley playing much the better football, but bad luck with finishing and poor refereeing meant AFC recorded their first blank of the season. John Melligan missed a good chance when Justin Nisbett did well on the right flank crossed into the area and the ball bobbled badly and hit Melligan on his knee, sending it flying over the bar. Melligan then played in Mark Bellingham through the middle and just as he was about to shoot from 12 yards was hauled back by the defender, with the ref not even recognising the foul, let alone a penalty. James Tindall, switched wings with Nisbett, beat his man down the right and crossed to the far left where Nisbett now was, and he struck towards goal with the very uneven surface taking the ball the wrong side of the post. Littleton had only one effort of note to show for the first half, which came from a long ball diagonal to the corner, then played back in to the centre for the striker to run onto and Sam Arnold saved well when one-on-one.

Melligan, who had pretty much bossed the first half for Hinckley, was clearly targeted from the start of the second half. Within the first 15 minutes of the second half he was hauled down twice and finally cynically hacked at resulting in an injury and forced substitution. The defender responsible only received a yellow card, and then disgustingly showed his delight at the fact Melligan had to be substituted, exchanging words with the players and staff of AFC. With Hinckley clearly wound up at this and re-organising from the substitution Littleton took the lead with a big long ball from the keeper down the middle, down the slope, for the striker to run onto and even though Arnold got a touch to the shot, it still went into the net. Tindall had a perfect chance to equalise straight away as Nisbett again did well down the right and teed up Tindall at the back post only for the ball to again bobble over his foot and miss the chance. Sam Arnold was the hero with 10 minutes remaining when Littleton were awarded a very very soft penalty. Justice was seen to be done when Arnold dived the right way saved the spot kick and the ball was cleared to safety. The bad tempered game boiled over in the final moments as Bellingham received an elbow in the face, and the AFC forward showed great control by not reacting to the challenge, however as the final whistle went both Hinckley players and fans let the referee know just how bad a game he had officiated.

click here for: Littleton match details

> return to current news

> return to news archive

  return to top