engine powered by FreeFind.com

message board

a-z club guide

miners welfare park

matthew gadsby
memorial page

site map

link for the hinckley afc official website
  July 2014 News
Saturday 5th
A new dawn, a new day, a new life...
...and we're feeling good. Nina Simone was an AFC fan, FACT! and she would've been so proud to see what has been accomplished by volunteers, hard work and dedication as a new football club for Hinckley was brought to life, playing their first match today at Maracana del St John.

Our hosts for the season at Heather St John welcomed us back to life as Hinckley AFC played their first game in a friendly, winning 2-4, though the score really was unimportant when compared to the occasion.

To say the acting chairman Gary Hancox had a bit of a smile today would be a touch understated as he walked around the ground talking to fans, some whos faces had not been seen at a Hinckley match for some time. When you think AFC has brought back those who had given up on United, having been dragged down with the constant political battling and despair at the level of debt that had been allowed to accrue, it really does show what a new dawn it is.

Not forgetting in the midst of the occasion, a football match was taking place. Over 200 people were entertained by a flowing game played in the right spirit by both teams, and were rewarded with an opening goal by club captain JJ Melligan, scoring Hinckley AFC's first ever goal. Luke Richards used his strength to keep the ball on the right of the area, squaring to Craig Bannister who unselfishly played in Melligan to his right who blasted in from 10 yards. Melligan doubled his goal tally when Hinckley were awarded a penalty for a clear hand ball, then AFC were three up before half time after Bannister forced the ball over the line when Woodward had done really well to save his initial close range header. Jimmy Slack netted right on half time for Heather before the line up completely changed for the second half.

The match result, if anyone thought it was that important, was settled shortly into the second half when Chris Sockett scored an absolute 'screamer' right in the 'postage stamp' giving keeper Woodward no chance. Heather put some respectability into the score line scoring a second late on, with Shaun Pearson getting the goal, but it was too late for a comeback.

Hinckley's comeback was complete though. Football has returned, the touch paper has been lit, and no one is going to sneak around the hedge to douse the flame. Welcome back to the swings and roundabouts and the cliched roller coaster that is non league life.

> return to current news

> return to news archive

  return to top